What to do in Cape Verde: a guide to the best activities in this sunny destination
The island of Cape Verde has long been popular with European visitors thanks to its attractive climate and diverse landscape, and it’s now fast becoming one of the top tourist destinations in Africa as well. If you are planning a trip to this tropical archipelago in the near future, check out our guide to the best things to do in Cape Verde and make sure that you don’t miss out on any of the fun activities on offer here!
Where is Cape Verde?
Cape Verde is an archipelago of 10 islands located off the coast of Senegal in West Africa. Flights to Cape Verde land at Sal Airport, which is located on the island of Sal. Cape Verde is a popular tourist destination due to its year-round warm weather and beautiful beaches. Things to do in Cape Verde include exploring the island’s many hiking trails, snorkeling and diving off its coast, and visiting its capital city of Praia. The currency in Cape Verde is the Cape Verdean escudo.
Planning Your Trip to Cape Verde
Cape Verde is a great sunny destination any time of year. Flights to Cape Verde are easy to find from most major airports. The Cape Verde airport is well-equipped and efficient.
There are plenty of things to do in Cape Verde, from exploring the island’s natural beauty to relaxing on the beach. Currency in Cape Verde is easy to manage, as it is pegged to the Euro.
Here are some of the best activities to enjoy during your stay in Cape Verde!
When To Go To Cape Verde
The Cape Verde islands are located off the coast of West Africa, and enjoy year-round sunshine and warm weather. The best time to visit depends on what you want to do while you’re there. If you’re looking to relax on the beach, the shoulder months of April and October offer more moderate temperatures and fewer crowds. For those interested in hiking or exploring the islands, January through March is ideal as it’s cooler and drier. Keep in mind that cape verde weather can be unpredictable, so it’s always a good idea to pack for both sun and rain.
The Best Activities In Cape Verde
- Soak up the sun on one of Cape Verde’s many beautiful beaches.
- Take a hike through one of the island’s lush green parks.
- Go for a swim in one of Cape Verde’s crystal clear pools.
- Ride a camel through the desert.
- Take a ferry ride to one of Cape Verde’s neighboring islands.
- Go on a safari through one of Cape Verde’s national parks.
- Visit one of Cape Verde’s many historical sites.
Getting Around In Cape Verde
The best way to get around Cape Verde is by car. You can rent a car at the airport or in town. Be sure to have your driver’s license and International Driving Permit with you. The official currency of Cape Verde is the Cape Verdean Escudo (CVE). You can exchange money at the airport, banks, or ATMs.
Cape Verde is made up of 10 islands, each with its own unique charm. Here are some ideas of things to do on each island
Top Tips For Holidaymakers In CapVerde
- Use your cape verde currency – the local Cape Verdean Escudo – when possible, as this helps support the economy.
- Try out some of the delicious seafood – it’s one of the things Cape Verde is known for!
- Take a trip to one of the stunning beaches, such as Praia de Chaves or Santa Maria Beach.
- Visit the capital city, Praia, and explore its colonial architecture and vibrant marketplaces.
- Go hiking or biking in one of Cape Verde’s many national parks – perfect for nature lovers.
- Learn about Cape Verde’s unique culture by attending a traditional music or dance performance.
Posted on: July 15, 2022
By Daniel Johnson